CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Andi's Birthday Countdown

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hey crazy lady - put the baby books down!!

It's been a while since my last post, so thought I'd give an update:

Andi is in her crib! YAY - although she still has nights where she is not loving it. For a while there I got pretty obsessed with the baby book world - YIKES! I think these books can be helpful, but they can definately be overwhelming.

Lesson learned: Your baby is not in the book - the book is a reference and it's methods do not always work - you know your baby best and can trust God and your motherly instincts - if the book starts to stress you out - put the book away!

So we started with the "cry it out" theory and lasted 3 nights then realized - it was not really working and - we HATED it. Why do it if we can do things another way? So since then we have tried a lot of things to get her down. I've found that there are awesome nights when she does exactly what I want her to do, and then there are challenging nights where I realize that my baby is not a robot and wants to do things her own way (amazing concept!) - overall, I feel I've embraced her as she is rather than trying to "fix" her and make her book worthy -after all, I'm not book worthy and I like me just fine!

Ryan and I are heading to Waco tomorrow for our first traveling trip with Andi! We'll be staying at Ryan's parents house and going to Baylor's homecoming game and weekend events!

Oh - also got a new cut/color - I'm a brunette - YAY!

I'll post pic's soon.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Yeah, those books will drive you insane. Glad she is doing well. Sorry we couldn't make it tonight...can't wait to see your new hair!

Katie - a Blessed Mommy! said...

Yeah for throwing out the books!!! We did the same thing when I finally realized they did not factor a lot of things that make my baby who he is - especially the fact that it is hard to get into a sleep routine when he is travelling so much!
Cuddling & rocking always worked well for us before bed. There's nothing like soothing your baby & I promise that someday she will sleep just fine on her own & be able to put herself to sleep just fine (without screaming!) Enjoy this short time when you can be a source of comfort!