OK - so here's the latest update:
I went to the Urologist yesterday at Children's Hospital to get some more information re: Baby D's kidney condition. Overall it was a good experience and I was able to get some good information re: what to expect after the birth and into the first year. Here's what I found out:
Basically, the Dr. said that right now there is no reason to worry, the baby is doing well and he is not concerned at all regarding me having a natural delivery at the birth center. He also talked with us (my Mom came with me since Ryan is out of town) about the baby's "abnormality", telling us that a few weeks after the baby is born she will have a few tests that will help determine a diagnosis -if any. Some of the possibilities are: 1) the kidney will get better and will not need medical attention; 2) the kidney will be diagnosed as having reflux - where her urine flow backs up from the bladder into the kidney - this would require surgery; 3) the kidney would be diagnosed as bieng dialated or enlarged - there are a few reasons for this - we would need to determine why it is dialated and then which surgery she would need.
After the appointment, we went to see my other Dr. who said that he and the midwives suggest naturally inducing labor at 38 or 39 weeks - so this means it could be as early as September 15th YIKES! I'm so excited and can't wait to meet her!
By the way, we have finally decided on a name but have decided to keep it a secret until the birth (if I can) - just so we don't get anymore negative comments - it's amazing the things people say! By the way friends - the "correct response" if you are wondering is - "WOW - what a great name - that's perfect"! Seriously - do I really need to say that????
On a separate note - I am so grateful to have such caring friends and family! Thank you all so much for the sweet notes and phone calls offering encouragement and support. I have really felt loved these past few weeks - which means - Baby D has also felt loved!!! You are all the best!
Love, K
Friday, September 5, 2008
Some more information
Posted by Ryan and Kate at 2:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I'm glad it was an overall positive experience for you! How great that you could meet this little girl so soon.:) I don't blame you about the name thing-isn't it outrageous what people say?! I felt that way with horror birth stories people would tell me when I was only weeks away from my due date!
That is seriously crazy...but honestly I think I've decided to do the same thing with the next one b/c I don't want to hear comments or suggestions about names. Glad the appointment went well!
Glad the appointment went well. Sept. 15th, Yeah! That's so exciting. Can't wait to meet her. Love y'all and will continue to pray for her arrival.
Glad the appointment was good and you got the information you needed. I will continue to pray for your peace and her health. Glad you and Ryan settled on a name for her! Can't wait to meet her! Love ya! Edna
Thanks for the update! Missed seeing you tonight. Will continue to pray for you, Ryan and Baby Dodd specifically.
Sweet Kate-
just read your blog after a little hiatus and am glad to know ways to pray for your little pumpkin and for you two. I am so glad you can go ahead and birth in the center like you have planned- and can't wait to see pictures of the li'l Dodd. Love you Skye
CONGRATS!!!! We are so excited & can't wait to meet sweet baby Andi! Just found your blog for the first time & look forward to seeing her pictures! Love, Katie & Reagan
Post a Comment